Dr. Johnson specializes in the following areas:
- DEPRESSION & ANXIETY | Depression, fear, and anxiety are some of the most common and uncomfortable emotions that many people experience at some point in life. Finding out the roots of your struggle and the ways in which you may be "getting stuck in your head," can help you recover motivation, perspective, and joy.
- STRESS MANAGEMENT | Stress is often defined as a bodily response to the demands of life. But there are also emotional and mental aspects of stress. It is experienced as thoughts and feelings as well as in the body. Another way to define stress could be as an internal and conditioned response to external pressures. I am happy to help you reduce and manage your stress.
- TRAUMA | Many individuals experience more complex difficulties associated with painful and traumatic circumstances. Fear, avoidance, and hopelessness are just a few troubles that can linger after traumatic events. We can help you overcome these symptoms and guide you through the process of grief and recovery.
- SELF IMAGE & SELF ESTEEM | Self-esteem is the degree to which one feels confident, valuable, and worthy of respect. It exists on a continuum from high to low. Where a person’s self-esteem falls on this spectrum can influence one’s overall well-being. People with high self-esteem often feel good about themselves and their progress through life. People with low self-esteem often feel shame and self-doubt. They often spend lots of time criticizing themselves. Low self-esteem is a symptom of several mental health conditions, such as anxiety and depression. I would love to work with you on your self-image and self-esteem, regardless of where you fall on the spectrum.
- CONFLICT RESOLUTION | I work with clients to teach conflict resolution skills whether they arise in a family, between friends or romantic partners, at the workplace, or in any other situation. Conflict resolution therapy can help you find solutions to certain challenging situations, relieve related mental health symptoms, and build a skill set that can be used to navigate future conflict.
- RELATIONSHIPS | Exploring your relational world via individual or couples therapy can be a critical aspect of overall healing and wellness. We encourage you to discuss difficult topics like vulnerability, sexuality, and loneliness. We provide a safe and welcoming space for our LGBTQ clients and those with diverse relationship styles.
- PARENT/CHILD RELATIONSHIPS | Parents and their children will experience conflict. This is inevitable and this conflict rarely occurs because the child is incorrigible, or bad. More often than not, parent and child conflict occurs due to parenting styles that clash with the reality of child development. In therapy, I work with parents to better understand their children and develop tools to improve parent-child relationships.
- GRIEF & LOSS | Bereavement is the process of recovering from the death of a loved one. Grief is a reaction to any form of loss. Both encompass a range of feelings from deep sadness to anger, and the process of adapting to a significant loss can vary dramatically from one person to another. As your therapist, you can trust that I am familiar with the grief and bereavement process and I can help you navigate your own emotions related to grief and loss.
- MEN'S ISSUES | Can refer to a number of concerns that may affect mental or physical health and well-being and lead men to seek therapy. Statistically, men do not typically seek therapy in high numbers, but when they do, they generally report the same types of concerns that might lead anyone to seek therapy, such as depression, stress, anxiety, and relationship concerns.
- LIFE TRANSITIONS | Adjusting to change can be difficult, as even positive life transitions tend to cause some stress. Over the course of a lifetime, a person can expect to experience a significant amount of change. Some of these changes, such as marriages, births, and new jobs, are generally positive, although they may be accompanied by their own unique stressors. Other major life transitions, such as moving, retirement, or entering the “empty nest” phase of life may cause a significant amount of stress. As your therapist, I will work with you to navigate these transitions and develop tools to better manage life transitions and challenges.
- LGBTQ+ ISSUES | You can trust that my office is a place where you won't be judged for who you are, who you love, or how you live your life. I am happy to work with you to explore any of the following topics: coming out to family, friends, colleagues; struggling with your identity and finding community; feeling judged or not accepted by your family, friends or coworkers; relationship challenges; and much more.
- DISEASE MANAGEMENT | Living with a chronic illness or disability can be challenging, but the effects may at times be more challenging than the difficulty itself. Allow me to journey with you to develop tools to better manage the emotional impact of living with a disease, chronic illness, or disability.
- SEXUAL HEALTH | Sexual health relates to physical, mental and social well-being in relation to your sexuality. It requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships. As your therapist, I will support you in developing the ability to embrace and enjoy your sexuality throughout your life.
Let's work together!